Monday, January 3, 2011

Berry pie and a resolution...

  As 1 of my resolutions this year,  I've decided to bake ALOT more
                    AND post about all my cooking adventures.
                              I started with a blueberry pie...

The crust was and is always the hard thing.
I have never made a pie-crust before,
just like I have never made a fruit pie before.


I knew I wanted to do a two crust pie, and I was thinking about doing it in this style...

As you see that didn't quite work out! lol..
I put the filling in, and then tried to make the top crust look pretty,
But I had to settle with no pretty designs on the top crust.
I forked the edges of the pie.


Ok, so I got the pie in the oven finally, and at this point I was like
'I hope it just tastes good!'.

Now...

It was time to clean up the MESS!
I must admit that I am not the cleanest cooker around.

Tada! This is the kitchen clean!

Soon the oven told me the pie was done...



So flaky and delicious, too bad it is all gone now...

Ok, so the things I messed up on was that I overly processed the pie crust, so it wasn't that flaky, and then I made the top crust too thick, it was hard to cut through.

The things that were good about it was that it was a pretty good pie in all, it tasted, looked and smelled delicious. =)

~Recipes~

Crust~
(I made a two crust pie, so this is the recipe for a two crust pie)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
5 to 6 tablespoons cold water

In bowl mix flour and salt.
With pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion,
cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
(This is the part you really have to work, I wish I had a pastry blender).

Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time,into mixture, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until pastry is just moist enough to hold together(no more no less).

After preparing pastry,  divide pastry into 2 balls, one slightly smaller for the top crust, to line pie plate, roll larger ball into round 2 inches larger than pie plate.
Transfer round to pie plate and ease into plate.
Fill pie.
For top crust all I did was roll it out like the bottom crust, I just made it smaller, which is why it was really thick, but I didn't notice at the time.

Filling~

In large bowl with rubber spatula, toss 2 pints blueberries
(about 5 cups) with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.

Next on the list is a chocolate cheesecake for Momma for her birthday, and a pound cake with fondant!


And that is all.
I hope you do have a blessed day all you readers out there!
Whoever you are! Lol.

        C-A   ^_^



2 comments:

  1. What a great goal for the new year! I was also planning on sharing a lot more recipes on my blog this year.

    Blueberry pie sounds delicious!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    I will check out your blog to see them.

    -Carol-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for commenting, have a great day!